Sunday, December 6, 2015

Amazing Joe


with my cute Joe

Few years back, when my eldest son Joy celebrated his 5th year of birthday on June 10, 2009, I shared some funny moments I had with him “Joyous Moments with Joy.” Today, December 7, is also a special day in my life. This is the day my youngest son, Joe, was born. Ever since he came into our lives, he does not cease to amaze us. He is amazing Joe.

Not wanting to take much of your time from your busy activities, I want to share just two things that made my heart to take great delight in Joe. I am sure you would be encouraged in your heart by reading them. If you want to listen more about him, you can take me to a good restaurant for supper and pay the bill☺

Expression of Gratitude

One day, in our family devotions, I taught on the importance of expressing our gratitude to those who help us. Deeply convicted by what he heard, right after our devotional time, Joe disappeared. Later, he came to me and placed in my hand a colorful envelope with glistening innocent smile. I was surprised and curious to know what is in it. When I opened, I found a white paper with some note written in red color by his tiny hand. The following is its image.



On the envelope, he wrote, "I give my love to my lovely papa." And in it is a note, “Thank you Pappa for helping us in all things. Thank you Pappa. We love you soooo much.” He also drew heart shapes on the left and the right side six times with words “Love Kiss.” That’s not all, he also put Rupees 500 from his pocket money as a token of appreciation, mentioning to buy something for myself. 

Joe did the same thing and gave it also to my wife. Since women are more sentimental and emotional, her eyes were filled with tears at the expression of his gratitude. I took the envelope that Joe gave and treasure it till today, including the money he gave. My heart may never forget his expression of thankfulness. He made a deep impact on my forgetful mind. 

A child can teach elders what we grown-ups fail to exemplify. Let us learn to express gratitude to one another, even in small things. 

And how wonderful it is to express our thankful attitude not only in words, but also in some material things, like writing a thankful note in a paper or on a greeting card. It could also be in the form of some simple gift. The reason I may never forget what Joe did is that he expressed his gratitude in an unusual way, rather than simply saying "Thank you". 

Remember, there is no greater attitude like gratitude. 

Expression of Apology

At another time, I think it was before or while having supper, Joe spoke in a disrespectful way to me. I was hurt and told him that I never spoke to my papa in that way. He knew I was not happy with him. He regretted for hurting me. 

After sometime, Joe called me to his room so that I can leave my laptop alone. He told me to stay in his room, went to my laptop, came back to his room again and asked me to continue my work. 

When I came to my laptop, I saw a note stuck on it. Joe wrote a note of apology, which you can see in the image. 



He wrote in his broken English, “Pappa, I am very sorry with you for speaking rudely. Please forgive me. I will not repeat next time.” Underneath the note, he drew a face running down with tears.

We all know how painful it is to ask apology. Pride often interferes with humble confession. It is said about President Richard Nixon that he could never admit he was wrong in anything. In fact, Charles Colson says, even when Nixon obviously had a cold—nose running, face red, sneezing, all the symptoms—he would never admit it. 

If we are honest with ourselves, perhaps we are no better than Nixon. We love to hide our mistakes or sins, hate to admit it and resist to ask apology when we fail. 

It is helpful to observe some good things in the note that Joe wrote. Many of us simply say, “I am sorry” for the wrong we do. But Joe did four things, which he learned in his family devotions: 

First, he felt sorry for he did. 

Second, he specifically mentioned the mistake he had done. 

Third, he requested me to forgive him. 

And fourth, he assured of not repeating again. 

Dear parents, so much to learn from the confession of Joe. 

I praise my Living God for teaching and encouraging my heart through Joe. I give glory to Him for his life. I pray that my God would use him to make a difference in his generation and not waste his life by just living for himself. Birthday is a reminder that we are created on earth with a purpose, and that purpose is to live for the glory of our Maker. 

Joe, my son, you are so precious to me. I love you so much. I am proud of being your father. I take great delight in you. My hugs and kisses to you. Happy Birthday.

_________________________________________

Enquiries: 

cstephendavid@gmail.com (or) messageforourage@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Great son to a great father. Much to learn from your deed joe.
    God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete