Saturday, February 13, 2021

Why Did I Become A Calvinist?

Image result for calvinist

George Whitfield said, “We are all born Arminians.” It is grace that turns us into Calvinists. - C.H. Spurgeon

When I was born-again in 1996, except for the gospel of Christ, I had zero knowledge of the Holy Bible. As I began to grow in the Lord, I got exposed to several doctrines. But no doctrine frustrated me like the doctrine of Calvinism.

I attended a church that didn’t believe in Calvinism. I studied in a Bible college that wasn’t in favor of Calvinism. My close friends were anti-Calvinists. Most of the books I cherished reading in my early Christian life were written by non-Calvinists.

I hated Calvinism. I mocked the Calvinists. When I heard or read some statements related to Calvinism, I gritted my teeth. I took delight in reading against Calvinism. I vehemently argued against Calvinism. I wasn’t merely a non-Calvinist but an anti-Calvinist. I considered Calvinism a great heresy in Christianity.

With such disposition against Calvinism, what compelled me to become a Calvinist?

I want to mention at the outset that I dislike using the term “Calvinist”. It seems to highlight Calvin and inflates the misbelief that he invented the doctrine of Calvinism. I prefer to use “Reformed view of soteriology” or “Doctrines of Grace.” But since many are unaware of these phrases, I am using “Calvinist” or “Calvinism” in this article. 

Two factors essentially led me to change my perspective on Calvinism.

1. THE HOLY SCRIPTURE

With hatred towards Calvinism, I was reading the Holy Bible every day. And as I read, I couldn’t resist God’s revelation in His Word concerning the doctrine of election. The first Scripture that shook me to the core was 1 Thessalonians 1:4.
For WE KNOW, brothers loved by God, THAT HE HAS CHOSEN YOU, BECAUSE our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. 
In this verse, I saw how Paul was certain (“we know”) that God had chosen the Thessalonians (“that He has chosen you”). How was he convinced about God’s election of them? Because the gospel transformed the lives of these Thessalonian believers ("because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction").

Observe, God didn’t choose them because they believed in the gospel. They believed in the gospel because God had chosen them. The gospel is effective only in the lives of God’s chosen ones.

Later I saw Acts 13:48 confirming this truth: “And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.” Unconditional divine election preceded people’s belief in the gospel.

As I kept studying the Holy Scripture, I came across numerous scriptures affirming the “Doctrines of Grace”. Since this is an article and not a book, I am confined to brevity. Interested readers may look at these 10 Scriptures (there are a few more):
Matthew 11:27, “No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”
 
John 17:1-2, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him." (cf. v.6)
 
Acts 18:9-10, And the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, “Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent, for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people.”
 
John 5:21, "For as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom he will."
 
Romans 8:30, "And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.”

Ephesians 1:4-5, "even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will.” (see v.11)
 
Acts 2:39, "For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”
 
John 6:65, "No one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.
 
John 10:25-28, Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand."
 
Romans 9:14-16, "What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy."
Finally, I couldn’t fight anymore against the revelation of God’s Word. The authority of God’s Word prevailed over my human, finite reasoning. I humbled myself, resisting my own sentimental assumptions, and yielded to the “Doctrines of Grace” (“Calvinism” or “Reformed View of Soteriology”). 
 
If not for the Holy Scripture, I would never have become a Calvinist. I am a Calvinist because Calvinism is based purely and solely on God’s Word. I now regret accusing Calvinism a heresy. It is the truth God’s Word plainly teaches.

2. REFLECTION ON MY CONVERSION 

The other triggering factor for me to become a Calvinist was my reflection on my own conversion experience.
 
I often say that if I was not converted by the gospel, I would have become either a criminal or a smuggler. I didn’t seek God. I hated attending the church. I was not too fond of the gospel when I heard it. I loved sinning and wallowed in it.
 
While being dead in sin, my life was drastically changed (still changing) by the gospel of Christ on June 26, 1996. And most surprisingly, I was born-again in the temple of Sai Baba. I have written in detail here how the gospel of Christ transformed my totally depraved life.
 
So when I reflected on my conversion experience, I didn’t understand how I chose to become a Christian. I was a terribly spoiled brat, bent on committing every evil possible. Personally cooperating with God as He worked in my heart to believe in Him (synergism) was an impossibility. I was good at rebellion against God and not at yielding to Him. 

Moreover, if it were a matter of man’s choice, my young neighbors were better than me to believe, having a good upbringing. But I was born-again, and all my decent, non-born-again religious neighbors were shocked by my transformation.
 
I eventually understood that I chose Christ because He first chose me before the foundation of the world. I sought Him because He first sought me. I came to Christ because the Father had drawn me to Him. I believed in Christ because He regenerated me.
 
I was neither better than my neighbors (in fact, I was worst) nor softened in my heart to believe in Christ. It was only the sovereign grace of God that awakened me to eternal life (monergism). Like Lazarus who came out of the tomb when the Lord called Him, I came out of the darkness into the light because God called me. Thus says God’s Word,
“And those whom he predestined he also called (effectual calling), and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.” (Rom. 8:30)
Of course, each person’s lifestyle and conversion experiences are different. But the cause of all born-again believers is the same. And that cause is, "He chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will.” (Eph. 1:4-5)
 
So the revelation of God’s Word and reflection over my own conversion experience have compelled me to become a Calvinist. I still wonder why God in His grace and mercy had chosen me, a depraved sinner. And I don’t have answers for some mysterious issues pertaining to God's sovereign work. Thus says the Scripture, “Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!” (Rom. 11:33)
 
FINAL WORDS 

Before I close, I want to share a few thoughts. I subscribe to all the tenets of "Calvnism" or "Doctrines of Grace." But I must confess that Calvinism does not save people per se. The truth of the gospel—i.e. the death and resurrection of Christ for the reconciliation of sinners to God (1 Cor. 15:3-4)alone saves people.
 
Calvinism is the backdrop, which explains the sovereign work of God in and through the gospel. But the substance of the gospel is the death and resurrection of Christ Jesus. And only faith in the atoning sacrifice of Christ justifies a sinner before the Holy God (Rom. 5:1-2).  
 
So although I am strong in my convictions of Calvinism, my relationship with God’s children is based on the gospel of Christ. I am taught in Romans 15:7 to accept others just as Christ has accepted me (i.e through faith in the gospel). And I would love to engage in healthy discussions with others, sharing my biblical convictions for their consideration.
 
I consider all non-Calvinists born-again believers my brothers and sisters in Christ. And when we all get to heaven, we would behold things brighter than we perceive now. In the meantime, I plead with them to consider studying Calvinism, giving thought to its teaching. Many hold myths about Calvinism because they haven’t personally given themselves to diligent study, thereby possessing a partial and misconceived understanding of it.
 
Well, as a Calvinist who has a lofty view of God’s amazing grace, I am learning to grow in grace and truth, fighting against the arrogant and self-righteous attitude towards those who don’t hold my Calvinistic convictions. May God empower me to defend the Doctrines of Grace graciously.
 
Soli Deo Gloria!
 
Recommended book: Many good books are available on Calvinism. The one I would recommend is “Five Points” by John Piper. It is concisely written, precisely explained, and the PDF copy is available for FREE.
 
Calvinistic preachers and teachers who were a tremendous blessing to my Christian growth: Charles Spurgeon, Jonathan Edwards, John Owen, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, John Piper, John MacArthur, R C Sproul, Wayne Grudem, D.A. Carson, Steve Lawson, Steve Atkerson, Paul Washer, David Platt, Mark Dever, Voddie Baucham, Paul David Tripp and so forth.

___________________________

Enquiries: 

cstephendavid@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Stephen Anna... I can identify so much with what you have written. I used to hate Calvinism, fought wth my Sunday school teacher who taught us tulip (I admire his humility that he still tried to explain it to an obnoxious teenager). But years later, God opened my eyes with no human influence. Thank you for this article. Glory be to God alone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your convictions boldly. Those two are precisely my personal reasons too! God bless.
    Jithin
    jithinmab@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to know that you are Calvinist dear Stephen. If you are scripturally convinced, I have no problems in gladly accepting your decision or conclusion. You have shared your story well. I am a follower of Jesus Christ (born-again) and I have some biblical, theological and philosophical reasons why I do not feel compelled that I should be either a Calvinist or an Armenian. I think we can honor one another and work together for the glory of God as long as we are agreed on the major/essential doctrines of the Christian Faith drawn from the Bible and the historical developments of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having been raised a calvinist, I appreciate the deep study of scripture, and the wholistic approach to scripture, that it teaches. I also appreciate the reverence for God, for his power, his providence, his grace, and his love for us. I used to say, and still do, sometimes, that if you don't believe, you are responsible. If you believe, then you realize that God chose you first. But I will also say that if God chooses to give us a choice about things, we cannot deny God's sovereignty, by denying God the right to give us choices. So we must be careful how we say things. Hebrews also says that "By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. 9 By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country;" He was obedient, and his faith and actions were reckoned to him as righteousness. While we give God the glory, we cannot thereby deny our own responsibility. It is a mystery which should not be abused.

    ReplyDelete